The Carter House, built in 1830 by Fountain Branch Carter, witnessed one of the bloodiest battles during the Civil War on November 30, 1864. The modest brick home was commandeered to be used as the Federal command post while the Carter family, and one other family, sought refuge in the basement during the fighting which erupted on their property. This Registered Historic Landmark has been open to the public since 1953 and serves as a memorial to the Battle of Franklin and the Carter family. Learn more about its history here.
The Carter House is open daily for guided tours. Its Museum Store offers a wide selection of titles about the Battle of Franklin, the Tennessee Campaign of 1864, and other related topics. Dozens of other items are available as well, from clothing to collectibles.