The Heritage Foundation of Williamson County, TN, and its division the Downtown Franklin Association (DFA) have partnered with Visit Franklin and City of Franklin to “Paint the Town Orange” this October in celebration of autumn in historic Franklin’s Main Street District.
Franklin will be aglow all month long with shades of orange everywhere including the Heritage Foundation’s iconic “pumpkin tree,” family-friendly fall photo backdrops and seasonal activations throughout downtown Franklin.
Every week will include fun activities, online costume contests and special merchant promotions. Various downtown merchants will host pumpkin carvers, special window decorations, Halloween themed events and more.
How do I “Paint the Town Orange,” you ask? Well, it’s as simple as wearing our commemorative “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirts or anything orange you have and getting in the fall spirit by visiting downtown Franklin! Some of the promotions and activations below are “unlocked” by wearing the official “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirt; so, read on for more details!
You can purchase your “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirts and masks at Twine Graphics downtown at 304 Public Square!
Plan Your Visit
Franklin, Tennessee is about 20 miles south of Nashville. Known as “American’s Favorite Main Street,” this circa 1799 historic downtown is home to modern amenities, rich history and small-town Southern charm.
The Harpeth Franklin Downtown, Curio Collection by Hilton
Whether you’re visiting from out of town or you’re a local that wants a special staycation getaway, the Harpeth Franklin Downtown is a gorgeous new hotel just blocks from Public Square. During the month of October, guests can enjoy:
- Staycation (Buy 2 Nights and get a 3rd Night complimentary/Free for our standard rooms) Williamson County, TN residents only.
- Upgraded Room (Wear your “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirt on October 30 & 31 and receive an upgraded room type with your reservation)
- Learn more about the hotel and book your room: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/index.html
Learn more about Franklin and Williamson County: https://visitfranklin.com/
- Fall Pancakes at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant | All month long, enjoy Pumpkin Spice pancakes! Learn more about the restaurant: http://puckettsgro.com/franklin
- Seasonal Drink Special at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant | Enjoy a house-made Mulled Cider mocktail or make it boozy with a shot of bourbon! Learn more about the restaurant: http://puckettsgro.com/franklin
- Fall Beer Flight at Americana Taphouse | Enjoy seasonal sips with $8 flights of Little Harpeth Brewing Prost! Märzen, Wiseacre Gotta Get Up To Get Down Coffee Milk Stout, and Rhinegeist Franz Märzen. Now pouring! View Americana’s full draft list: http://americanataphouse.com/on-tap
October 1 – 10: Harvesting History & Culture
- Tours of Carnton & Carter House, Presented by Battle of Franklin Trust | Every day of the week, tours and museums at Carter House and Carnton allow visitors to learn how the Civil War Redefined America. This fall, the Battle of Franklin Trust has launched a new four (4 hour) Spring Hill to Franklin Battlefield tour (in our outdoor museum) for those interested in learning how the origins of the Tennessee Campaign leading through the fateful events at Spring Hill on November 29 and conclude with the Battle of Franklin and its aftermath, November 30, 1864. Learn more about the organization: https://boft.org/
- 10th Anniversary at Gallery 202 | Celebrating their 10-year anniversary throughout October, offering local art and southern antiques in downtown Franklin. Learn more about the gallery: https://www.gallery202art.com/
- (FREE!) Tours of the Old, Old Jail, Presented by the Heritage Foundation of Williamson County| Thursday, October 1 – Friday, October 2, 1:00 – 4:30 pm and Monday, October 5 – Friday, October 9, 1:00 – 4:30 pm | The Old, Old Jail served as Williamson County’s third jail from 1941 until 1970. From the 70s on, it was used at various times as a highway patrol outpost, an employment office, the county archives and book storage for the school system. In 2013, the Heritage Foundation purchased the dilapidated building and led the $2.7 million rehabilitation efforts. Today, the renamed LeHew Magid Big House for Historic Preservation serves as the Foundation’s headquarters. Learn more about the organization: https://williamsonheritage.org/
- History and Hot Cider at Landmark Booksellers
- Saturday, October 3, 11:00 am & 3:00 pm | Co-owner Joel Tomlin will discuss the history of the Landmark building and its significance in downtown Franklin.
- Saturday, October 10, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm | Customers may enjoy hot spiced cider, and weather permitting, little folks can enjoy a “witches brew” outside.
- Learn more about the shop: https://www.landmarkbooksellers.com/
- Extreme Pumpkin Carving, Presented by Parks Realty | Saturday, October 10, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm in the Harpeth Franklin Downtown courtyard (in front of Parks Realty) | Enjoy the iconic Leiper’s Fork Carving club and their intricate pumpkin creations. Learn more about the company: https://www.parksathome.com/
- Live Music at The Harpeth Franklin Downtown | Every Friday evening from 6:00 – 9:00 pm, join pianist Jim Hayden for live music in the Courtyard and Lobby. Learn more: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/index.html
October 10 – 17: Bountiful Brews
- Happy Hour at 1799 Kitchen & Cocktails | Every Monday through Thursday from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, enjoy Happy Hour, including $4 beer, $6 wine and $8 cocktails (plus tax) Learn more about the restaurant: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/dining/index.html
- Pumpkin Painting & Fall Brews at Americana Taphouse
- Fall Beer Specials at Hop House Tennessee Taps | Sunday, October 11 – Saturday, October 17 | All Oktoberfest and pumpkin beers are on special! ($5 pints and $4 12-oz. cans). Learn more about the restaurant: https://www.hophousetntaps.com/
- Seasonal Books and Discounts at Landmark Booksellers | Saturday, October 17, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm | Seasonal books (including Christmas books) will be displayed on tables outside, and customers may receive a 15% discount! Learn more about the shop: https://www.landmarkbooksellers.com/
- 17th Anniversary Open House at The Registry | Monday, October 12 – Saturday, October 17 | Celebrating their 17th anniversary with a week-long open house and “shop late” night on Thursday, October 15 . Learn more about the shop: http://www.theregistryfranklin.com/
- Free Appetizer from Taziki’s Mediterranean Cafe | Sunday, October 11 – Saturday, October 17 | Anyone who mentions they saw this online or on social media will receive a free appetizer with the purchase of an entree meal. Learn more about the restaurant: https://www.tazikis.com/location/franklin
October 17 – 24: Shop Small this Fall
- Fall Photo Booth at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant | Friday, October 23, 12:00 – 1:30 pm | Visit Puckett’s for a festive photo op and receive a free digital copy of your photos! Learn more at: https://facebook.com/events/340492627260160
- Autumnal Treats at Landmark Booksellers | Saturday, October 24, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm | Customers can enjoy autumnal treats while shopping for a new favorite book. Learn more about the shop: https://www.landmarkbooksellers.com/
- Orange Discounts at The Registry | Anyone wearing orange will get 20% off anything orange at The Registry, (fine china excluded.)
October 24 – 29: Autumnal Treats
- Sunday Brunch at 1799 Kitchen & Cocktails | Every Sunday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, enjoy a Sunday Jazz Brunch, featuring delicious brunch favorites and $5 mimosas. Learn more about the restaurant: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/dining/index.html
- New Fall Menu at Americana Taphouse | All month long, enjoy Americana’s new menu with seasonal items, including pork rind nachos, cioppino and grits with shrimp, cod okra and corn; and for dessert, a cornbread sammie: Yankee cornbread, bacon-whipped ice cream, bacon caramel and toasted pecans. Learn more about the restaurant: http://americanataphouse.com/
- Live Music at Merridee’s Breadbasket | At Merridee’s, everything is still made from scratch, the old-fashioned way – you won’t find any premade mixes in this bakery – just bags of flour, whole grains and sugar, flats of eggs and cases of real creamery butter. It takes a lot of loving care to transform these staples into the delicious pies, brownies, cookies and breads you will find on the shelves every day. Every Friday and Saturday night from 6:00 – 9:00 pm, enjoy live music. Walk-ins are welcome; or reserve a table on OpenTable. Learn more about the restaurant: http://www.merridees.com/
- Fall Pancakes at Puckett’s Restaurant & Grocery | All month long, enjoy Apple Jack-o-Lantern pancakes! Learn more about the restaurant: http://puckettsgro.com/franklin/
- “Pumpkin Pie Spice” Donuts at Tiny Little Donuts | Throughout the entire month, Tiny Little Donuts has a fun and festive environment where families can take photos on the porch, decorated with hay bales and pumpkins, while also enjoying the fan-favorite “Pumpkin Pie Spice” tiny little donuts. Learn more about the restaurant: https://tinylittledonuts.com/
- Trick-or-Treat Drawing at The Registry | Mystery drawing at checkout for a discount on one item.
October 30 – 31: “Paint the Town Orange” Weekend
- Complimentary Dessert and Upgraded Coffee Size at 1799 Kitchen & Cocktails | On October 30 & 31, when guests wear their “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirts, they can receive an upgraded size coffee and/or a complimentary dessert with the purchase of an entrée. Learn more about the restaurant: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/dining/index.html
- Brats, Burgers & Beer at Americana Taphouse | Friday, October 30, 3:00 – 8:00 pm | Join us for a laidback, family-friendly event on the Americana patio! Get into the Oktoberfest spirit with all-you-can-eat brats, burgers & hot dogs served with housemade kettle chips & all the fixins! We’ll have craft beer specials on tap, along with giveaways from local breweries. Costumes are optional but encouraged, and the most creative costume will win a $50 Americana gift card! Learn more & get tickets: http://americana-brats-burgers-beer.eventbrite.com or http://facebook.com/events/1049574468799004
- Halloween Storytime at Landmark Booksellers | Friday, October 30 – Saturday, October 31, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm | Enjoy a Halloween-themed backdrop for photos and candy for trick-or-treaters. Also, join us for special Halloween Storytimes:
- 11:00 am Halloween Storytime: Children ages 3 – 6
- 2:00 pm Halloween Storytime: Older children
- 5:00 pm Ghost Storytime: For those who want a scary thrill!
- Learn more bout the shop: https://www.landmarkbooksellers.com/
- Upgraded Coffee at McGavock’s Coffee Bar & Provisions | On October 30 & 31, when guests wear their “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirts, they can receive an upgraded size coffee! Learn more about the restaurant: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/dining/index.html
- Trick-or-Treat Prizes at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant | Friday, October 30 – Saturday, October 31, 7:00 am – 10:00 pm | Trick-or-treat prize with the purchase of a kid’s meal. Learn more about the restaurant: http://puckettsgro.com/franklin/
- Upgraded Rooms at The Harpeth Franklin Downtown | On October 30 & 31, when guests wear their “Paint the Town Orange” t-shirts, they can receive an upgraded room type with reservation! Learn more about the hotel and book your room: https://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/the-harpeth-franklin-downtown-curio-collection-by-hilton-BNASQQQ/index.html
- Halloween Coffee Cart at Posh: On Saturday October 31st, Posh is partnering with the Coffee House at Second and Bridge to have a Halloween-themed coffee cart, with coffee and hot chocolate, in the store from 10-12. Look for surprise discounts, too! Learn more about the shop: https://www.poshfranklin.com/
- Trick-or-Treat Caramel Apples at Puckett’s Grocery & Restaurant | Friday, October 30 – Saturday, October 31, 7:00 am – 10:00 pm | Kids receive a free caramel apple with any purchase! Learn more about the restaurant: http://puckettsgro.com/franklin
- Trick-or-Treat Caramel Apples at Americana Taphouse | Friday, October 30 – Saturday, October 31, 11:00 am – 10:00 pm | Kids receive a free caramel apple with any purchase! Learn more about the restaurant: http://americanataphouse.com
- Trick-or-Treat Drawing at The Registry | Mystery drawing at checkout for a discount on one item.
- Witches Brew Pop-Up | Posh is hosting a special Halloween-themed coffee and hot chocolate bar Saturday, October 31 from 10 a.m. to noon. In addition to fun coffee and hot chocolate drinks provided by The Coffee House @ Second & Bridge, there will be special trick-and-treat discounts on items in the store.
Halloween Night: The City of Franklin will be closing several streets on Halloween to ensure safe trick-or-treating for families. Click HERE to see a list of road closures around downtown Franklin.
- 2020 Heritage Foundation Virtual Costume Contest Every year during its Pumpkinfest event, the Heritage Foundation hosts a beloved costume contest, featuring both people and pets. This year, you can still safely join in the fun through the online contest! Contestants and voters can participate now through Friday, October 30 – with winners announced on Halloween! It’s completely FREE to enter, and votes can be made for $1 donations to the non-profit Heritage Foundation. Monies raised will support the Foundation’s mission of saving and sharing important places and stories in Williamson County. Enter and vote: https://www.gogophotocontest.com/heritagefoundation
- (DETAILS COMING SOON!) Fall Window Decorating Contest, Produced by DFA
Downtown Franklin Selfie Spots:
- Heritage Foundation’s Famous “Pumpkin Tree” | October 1 – 31 (Public Square – In front of City Hall and Ruby Sunshine)
- Heritage Foundation’s Antique Truck (October 1 – 30: 112 Bridge Street – Old, Old Jail Parking Lot; October 31: 611 West Main Street – Williamson County Museum & Archives Parking Lot)
- Paint the Town Orange Family Photo Backdrop | October 5 – 31 (Corner of West Main Street and 4th Avenue – Side of The Registry Building)
- Tiny Little Donuts (Airstream at 328 5th Avenue North)
- French’s Shoes & Boots (Also at 328 5th Avenue North)